Annapurna is the 10th highest mountain in the world but known as the deadly mountain. The difficult routes, landscapes, slides of torrential sudden climate make one of the difficult mountains to climb. Annapurna Region is one of the best regions to do trekking in Nepal. Here you can find the true beauty of nature with peace of mind apart from the busy life.Annapurna Region is the trekker’s paradise for the mountain lovers.
Annapurna Region has different cast of the people like Magar, Gurung, Manange,Thakali and Loba. Every locale has their own languages, cultures and festivals. However, they gather on main occasions sing folk songs and have fun in their community. Beside this,Annapurna Mountain region is very popular for different species of flora and fauna. There are more than 110 mammals1,350 species of flowering plants, , 650 birds, 20 amphibiansand 35 reptile.
The interesting facts that everyone must know about the Annapurna Mountain includes:
- There is aninteresting meaning behind the name of the Annapurna. Annapurna is the combination of two Sanskrit words “Anna” and “Purna”where Anna means food and Purna stands for filled. It’s also known as the “Goddess of Food”. Many Hindu and Buddhist people worship this beautifulMountain.
- The formation of Annapurna Massif Mountaintook about 60 million years ago. The reason behind this mountain formation is tectonic forces. A collision between the Eurasian Plate and Indian plate formed Annapurna Massif. Number of fossils has been discovered which display the formation history of the Mountain.
- This entire massif has the protection with 7629 square kilometers under Annapurna Conservation Area and this is the largest conservation area in Nepal.
- Annapurna Massif lies in the North-Central part of the Nepal. Among many peaks, Annapurna I(8091m/26,545ft known as the 10th highest mountain in the world.Annapurna Region includes 5 other main peaks which are Annapurna II (7937m/26,040ft; 16th highest mountain in the world), Annapurna III 7555m, Annapurna IV 7525m, Gangapurna 7455m and Annapurna South 7219m. The less prominentother peaks in the Annapurna Mountainare:
- Annapurna I Central 8051m (26,414 ft.)
- Annapurna I East 8010m (26,280 ft.)
- Annapurna Fang 7647m (25,089 ft.)
- Khangsar Kang 7485m (24,557 ft.)
- Tarke Kang 7202m (23,629 ft.)
- Lachenal Peak 7140m (23,425 ft.)
- Tilicho Peak 7135m (23,409 ft.)
- NiligriHimal North 7061m (23,166 ft.), Central 6940m (22,769 ft.) and South 6839m (22,438 ft.)
- Machhapuchhre 6993m (22,943 ft.)
- Hiunchuli6441m (21,132 ft.)
- GandarbhaChuli 6248m (20,499 ft.)
- The top part of Annapurna is shaped of limestone which is similar with Everest and Dhaulagiri I. That’s why the mountain is believed to have been arisen from the ocean which was progressively pushed by structural powers to the current state.
- Annapurna Massif has six prominent peaks. Annapurna I (8091M) is the tallest mountain in the whole Annapurna massif. Annapurna I mountain was the first of the 14 eight thousands to be successfully mounted. And it’s also known as one of the dangerous mountain peaks to summit.
- Annapurna mountain massif is well knownas one of the most dangerous 8000m peak to climb. Annapurna Mountain holds 35% to 40% of death rate. This considered higher than other mountain climbing. There are only 157 climbers who get success to summit and 60 climbers died during the climbing the Annapurna Mountain.
- Annapurna Mountain is the first 8000m mountain peak ever climbed and impossible without supplemental oxygen.
First risings of the Annapurna: Maurice Herzog and Louis Lachenal, the first to summit Annapurna in 1950, were a piece of a French group that included other incredible climbers, Gaston Rébuffat and Lionel Terray. Herzog and Lachenal both endured substantial frostbite on their feet and Herzog in his grasp as well. The book Annapurna composed by Maurice Herzog about the 1950 undertaking, which sold more than 11 million duplicates, making it the smash hit climbing book ever. After that next climb were done by the British expedition team, the American team and the Japanese team. The first American women’s expedition teams submit in 1978.
- The whole Annapurna Massif is safely surrounded by the amazing Annapurna Conservation Area. This area cover the 7629 square kilometer of ACA, over Kaski, Manang, Mustang, Lamjung and Myagdi. This is the largest Conservation Area in Nepal. Annapurna conversation holds so many amazing trekking trails in different trekking destination.
- Annapurna Conservation Area is the home of more than 110 mammals 1,350 species of flowering plants, , 650 birds, 20 amphibians and 35 reptile.
- Annapurna Region is second most visited region in Nepal after Everest Region. Trekkers even tell this region is the trekker’s paradise. Among many reasons, beauty of the nature, Highest Lake (Tilicho),Kali Gandaki George, highest pass in the world (Thorong La), easy accessibility, mesmerizing mountains ranges and warmhearted local people with unique culture and traditionsare the best reason to explore.
- Annapurna Region offers the huge number of trekking routes comparing to other region in Nepal with so much varied ones; Annapurna Base Camp, Annapurna Circuit, Lower/Upper Mustang, DamodarKund, Khopra Ridge, Mardi Himal, MohareDanda, Royal Trek, Poon Hill, Nar Phu Valley, JomsomMuktinath, Tilicho Lake and many more.
- In Annapurna Region,you can find highest lakes of the world. But the journey towards to this amazing lake is not so normal. One of the world’s highest lake ‘’Tilicho’’ is situated at 4919 m and it is also known as Frozen Lake. Hiker’s journey towards this beautiful lake is no easy so you must be preparing well before traveling. Other two lakes named asKhayar Lake 4660m and Ice Lake 4700m also found in the Annapurna region.
- The amazing historical Buddhist Kingdom of Upper Mustang also lies in Annapurna region. This area is very close to the Tibet border. Every travelers needs to carry special restriction permit to travel in this area. In upper Mustang trekkers can find the untouched beauty an old palace, caves etc. Additionally, Lower Mustang holds one of the holy temples of Nepal, which is Muktinath. Hindu and Buddhist worshipers come to receive the salvation from sins in this beautiful temple.